If you read my previous post where I showed a snippet of paint, as you probably guessed that color was used on this old dresser.
Lets refresh, shall we?
Here it is in it’s original state. Very dated, missing a few handles and lets be truthful, slightly unattractive.
And wouldn’t you know it, I didn’t notice this chipped drawer until I brought it home. Dont’cha hate it when this happens?
I bought two colors for this project. What you see below is Valspar paint, in Favorite Jade, and Gravity. What you see on the dresser is ONLY Favorite Jade. I decided I didn’t like the Gravity Grey as the two-tone between the Jade and wood was enough.
I didn’t prime this piece as I wanted the wood to show through the paint. Very little paint was put on the brush and long strokes were used all in one direction. A dry brush was used just after to spread the paint even thinner. When it was all dried, a sanding block helped age the corners. It was then sealed with a spray Polyurethane.
So back to the chipped drawer. I thought I would try to fix it and if all else fails, I would take out two drawers from the top and put shelves and baskets… but I really wanted to fix that drawer. And I did.
Here’s how I did it. Wood filler and a putty knife.
Glob on some wood filler.. not a whole lot as you’ll want to do this in two steps so that it dries. Let dry at least overnight. Then sand it down to get your corner shape and put some more on. Let it dry again. Sand to corner shape with a sanding block.
This was after the first application.
As a few of the smaller handles were missing, I bought new knobs and plates and sprayed them black with the the other original larger handles. For the new ones to fit, new holes were drilled.
She’s finally done, and I must say, I think she’s become a personal favorite of mine. And you’d never know where that chipped drawer is.
Thanks for Reading