Betcha thought you’d never see a post on this again. I was beginning to think that myself. It’s been terribly busy and with some good weather and good friends, I’ve found myself socializing slightly more than I deserve to lately.
In any case, this is the progress so far.
A recap of how my gorgeous Laundry/Powder room looked before can be found here (I can’t bear to post those pictures again).
Basically the laundry area is the bulk of the work. The laundry room was behind two large bi-fold doors completely hidden from the rest of the washroom, and thank Heavens it was.
Unfortunately my washer and dryer each died on different occasions. The dryer was replaced first to match the washer which in turn died some months later, soooo I ended up with mismatched machines. Not that it matters, they both do the trick.
Everything you see in this picture below had to be removed. The washer/dryer were pulled out and set side by side, which is the way they’ll stay. The bulkhead that separated the two parts of this room was removed.
Now get one of your favorite plumbers, (I say ‘one’ because there are two plumbers in the family) to rip out the plumbing from behind the machines and reposition it all to a better place. Electrical had to be moved and added as well.
It was precisely at this point I wondered to myself why I couldn’t have left well-enough alone. (Thankfully that was a fleeting thought.)
On the other side of the room the bathroom the vanity was removed.
Bulkhead removed, patched and freshly painted (wet) ceiling.
Looking better already.
In the meantime, I did something I said I’d never do again… hack some Ikea.
Ikea furniture has a very durable surface that isn’t exactly easy to modify, but they had the cupboards I wanted at the price I liked but unfortunately not the color that worked.
So lets paint up some Ikea doors.
A lot of primers today will allow you to do very little prep work. Although I always recommend sanding before priming, Ikea products require a LOT of sanding before priming. Skip this step and I guarantee you’ll be sorry.
The cupboard doors were sanded, primed, sanded and primed again then given the same treatment my kitchen cupboards were given. Heirloom white and glaze.
While those were drying, we move on to wallpaper.
I’ve always loved wallpaper. I wasn’t sure why I never used it my homes…..now I know why.
Papering a basic square room is tricky enough, but this room posed one challenge after another.
This is my take on wallpapering….. The couple that can wallpaper together, stays together!
So here is where we stand today. I suspect the rest of the reno will go much faster than the first half did.
To be continued …